How to Remove a Paid Judgment from Your Credit Report

On This Page, You can easily know about How to Remove a Paid Judgment from Your Credit Report.

Credit reports within the US are maintained by 3 major credit bureaus: Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. Effective Dominion Day, 2018, the three major credit bureaus not maintain records of civil judgments as a part of your credit history. However, it’s possible that a judgment you paid slipped through the cracks. If you discover a paid judgment on your credit report, you’ll file a dispute to possess it removed.

Table of Contents

What is a judgment?

A judgment may be a writ that results from a lawsuit. Only civil judgments are reported to the credit bureaus. These sorts of judgments are court rulings that pertain to the repayment of a debt. once you owe a creditor money and do not pay it, the creditor can attempt to recover it by getting to court and suing you for it.

What Is a Credit Report?

A credit report contains information about your credit history. Credit bureaus create credit reports. An agency may be a company or organization that collects information concerning the credit ratings or credit of many individuals. They then make this information available to lending institutions, including banks. The lending institutions use the credit report back to help determine whether they will grant you credit.

Your credit report is predicated on various factors, including your:

  • repayment history;
  • credit enquiries;
  • overdue accounts listed as payment defaults;
  • writs and summons; and
  • court judgements associated with debts. A court judgement will remain on your credit history for five years, albeit you’ve got repaid the relevant debt.

Disputing the Credit Report Entry

Write a dispute letter to every of the bureaus that reports the judgment. If you found the judgment reported, send a letter to the agency and allow them to know that you simply would really like the judgment faraway from your credit report. Include a press release to the effect that civil judgments are not any longer included on credit reports.

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) features a sample letter you’ll use to draft your own letter, available at your-credit-report. Confirm you adjust the language within the letter to fit your situation.

Confirm that the entry has been removed

You’ll get a letter from the agency stating that the paid judgment has been faraway from your credit report. Check your credit report after the 30 days have elapsed to verify that the judgment is not any longer on your credit report.

After a dispute, you’re entitled to a free copy of your credit report. Check the official copy of the credit report, not the knowledge on a free online service.


  • This text covers the way to remove a paid judgment from a credit report within the US. If you reside in another country, the method could also be different. A finance professional or someone at an area consumer agency could also be ready to help.
How to Remove a Paid Judgment from Your Credit Report

Leave a Reply

Scroll to top