How to Remove a Paid Judgment from Your Credit Report

On This Page,You can easily know about How to Remove a Paid Judgment from Your Credit Report.

Credit reports in the US are maintained by 3 major credit bureaus: Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. Effective Dominion Day , 2018, the three major credit bureaus not maintain records of civil judgments as a part of your credit history. However, it’s possible that a judgment you paid slipped through the cracks. If you discover a paid judgment on your credit report, you’ll file a dispute to possess it removed.

Table of Contents

What is a judgment?

A judgment may be a writ that results from a lawsuit. Only civil judgments are reported to the credit bureaus. These sorts of judgments are court rulings that pertain to the repayment of a debt. once you owe a creditor money and do not pay it, the creditor can attempt to recover it by getting to court and suing you for it.

When a creditor sues for the cash you owe, the court decides on the merits of the case. If a judge rules against you, the choice becomes a judgment against you. within the case that the judge decides you owe money, they can:

  • Order wage garnishment
  • Order you to return up with a payment plan with the lender
  • Allow the lender to connect liens to your property so as to recover their money

No matter what happens with a judgment, you’re forced to pay back what you owe due to the writ .

Analyzing Your Credit Report

Look for “public records” entries employing a free credit report service. the three major credit bureaus not include civil judgments on credit reports. If it has been a short time since you checked your report, use a free online service, like Credit Karma or Credit Sesame, to ascertain if the judgment you’re worried about is even still there.

If you do not have already got an account with one among these services, you’ll open one for free of charge . To verify your identity you’ll got to answer questions supported information contained in your credit report.

Disputing the Credit Report Entry

Write a dispute letter to every of the bureaus that reports the judgment. If you found the judgment reported, send a letter to the agency and allow them to know that you simply would really like the judgment faraway from your credit report. Include a press release to the effect that civil judgments are not any longer included on credit reports.

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) features a sample letter you’ll use to draft your own letter available at confirm you adjust the language within the letter to fit your situation.

Appeal for a vacated judgment

A vacated judgment is one that you simply appealed, and therefore the court dismissed. this is often an excellent thanks to handle a judgment, and there are several ways to urge your judgment vacated:

  • File a motion appealing the first ruling. you’ve got an honest chance of succeeding, especially if the person suing you didn’t follow the right legal procedure.
  • File an appeal of procedural grounds. this might include receiving a judgment without a hearing or not receiving a summons to court.

If you successfully appeal your judgment, then the case is dismissed. The person suing you continue to has the choice to re-file, but since it’s costly and time-consuming, they’ll not pursue it again.

Dispute inaccuracies

Credit report judgments are often removed by following the steps below.

  • Request the court to validate the judgment
  • Verify information provided from the court
  • Dispute any inaccuracies found
  • Consider professional help

If the court is missing certain information once they report your judgment to the credit bureaus, then the judgment are often removed, but you’d need to dispute it.


  • This text covers the way to remove a paid judgment from a credit report within the US. If you reside in another country, the method could also be different. A finance professional or someone at an area consumer agency could also be ready to help.
How to Remove a Paid Judgment from Your Credit Report

Leave a Reply

Scroll to top