AirPods are Apple’s wireless earbuds introduced in 2017 for listening to music, making phone calls, and more. This will show you how to set up your AirPods.
How to Set Up Your New AirPods
AirPods, introduced last December, are Apple’s completely wire-free earphones that have a W1 chip inside for easy pairing between devices.
AirPods work like magic, and while they’re easy to line up, the method might not be intuitive to all or any users who received AirPods this Christmas, so we thought we’d share some quick, easy to digest instructions.
- Remove the AirPods from the packaging.
- Leave the AirPods in AirPods case.
- Power on your iPhone or iPad, unlock it, and go to the home screen (aka the main app screen).
- Open up the lid to your AirPods case.
- Hold the AirPods case with open lid next to your iPhone or iPad.
- Your iOS device will recognize the AirPods and you will see a popup to connect your AirPods.
- Tap “Connect.”
- you will be instructed to press and hold on the back button of the AirPods case.
- Press it for a few seconds, and the popup on your iPhone will change to “Connecting.”
- When the connection is complete, the popup will display the battery life for both the AirPods and the case.
That’s all there’s thereto . Once this setup process has been completed, your AirPods will re-pair to your iOS device whenever you open up the case lid. This re-pairing process takes just a couple of seconds, so your AirPods are essentially ready to go whenever you pull them out.
Your AirPods are linked to your iCloud account, so once you pair them with one device, your other devices know they exist. you’ll switch connections between your devices through the quality Bluetooth settings options, where AirPods are going to be listed on any device that you’re signed into with your iCloud account.
How to choose which microphone is used by your AirPods
When you wear AirPods, you’ve got two beam-forming microphones available for phone calls and Siri commands. Normally, AirPods will automatically switch between the mics counting on which has the best input, but if you’d rather set it and forget it, you’ll do this too.
This is also the microphone that Siri will use to listen for your trigger word on AirPods 2.
Launch Settings from your iPhone’s Home screen.
- Tap on Bluetooth.
- Tap on Microphone.
• Choose the setting your prefer: Automatically Switch AirPods, Always Left AirPod, Always Right AirPod.
• Tap on the rear button.
How to pair AirPods to a different iPhone
- If you are looking to pair your AirPods with an iPhone that may not the first phone you’ve paired them with, you will have to travel one step further.
- Open your AirPods case near the new iPhone.
- Tap “Connect.”
- Press and hold the tiny “pairing” button on the back of the case for several seconds, until it starts blinking white.
How to pair AirPods with non-Apple devices
- Despite being marketed as Apple-exclusive, and including special features that only work on iOS devices, AirPods also are ordinary Bluetooth earbuds. this suggests you’ll manually pair them with any Bluetooth-compatible device, like an Android phone or Windows computer, do you have to so choose.
- You simply got to put your AirPods in “Pairing” mode.
- confirm your AirPods are within the case.
- Open the lid.
- Press and hold the “pairing” button on the rear of the case (pictured above) for several seconds, until it starts blinking white.
- Start the pairing process on the opposite device within the way you’d ordinarily hook up with any Bluetooth device.
AirPod settings: how to connect AirPods to iPhone.
Enable Bluetooth on iPhone -> put AirPods case next to iPhone -> open the lid of the case -> press Connect on iPhone -> press and hold the button on the back of the case -> press Done on iPhone.
Things to know about AirPods:
- Pairing AirPods with iPhone will also pair them with your Apple Watch.
- The steps to pair AirPods to iPad are the same.
Can You Connect AirPods to MacBook
Some people are wondering whether they can connect an AirPod to MacBook, in addition to iPhone and iPad. As mentioned earlier, AirPod can be used as a wireless earphone for different Apple devices, including MacBook.
How to turn on AirPods on MacBook:
go to Bluetooth -> make sure it’s turned on -> pair AirPods with MacBook by pressing the button on the case -> select AirPods from the devices list on MacBook.
Besides, AirPod 1, AirPod 2, and AirPod Pro can also be connected to and used on non-Apple devices, such as Android devices, Windows PC, and even TV. But the auto-play and pause function is only available when AirPod is using on an Apple device.
Charge & Battery
There are 3 easy ways to charge an AirPod: charge with a cable, charge using the case, and charge with a charging mat. As for the specific steps to charge, how long does it take to charge AirPods, and AirPod battery life.
Change the Name of AirPods
- Open Settings.
- Select Bluetooth.
- Look for the AirPod in the devices list.
- Press the blue i icon next to it.
- Select Name and type in a new name.
Customize Double-tap Function
For the 1st generation of AirPod, double-tapping each side of AirPod will launch Siri on your device. While for the 2nd generation, double-tapping means to go to the next track by default. However, Apple makes it possible for you to decide what a double-tap can do.
- Repeat step 1 ~ 4 mentioned in AirPods Tips 4.
- Navigate to the DOUBLE-TAP ON AIRPOD section.
- Select Left and choose the feature you want for the left AirPod: Siri, Play/Pause, Next Track, Previous Track, or Off.
- Select Right and choose the feature you want.
Read Message with Siri
You can let Siri read messages automatically for you:
- Open Settings.
- Select Siri & Search.
- Select Announce Messages.
- Make sure Announce Messages with Siri is turned On.